When I began this blog nearly two years ago, I had lofty ambitions. I began by wanting to write a blog post each day–and by all accounts, I should be on Hour 700+ by now. I quickly realized that it was improbable, if not impossible, to keep up that pace and continue all of the activities I was engaged in. So I changed my original plan and decided to write when I had time.
Nearly one year and many, many hours later since writing my last post, here I am! Since I’ve been absent for so long, I’ve decided to make this post a wrap-up of 2018–an INCREDIBLE year, complete with incredibly wonderful things.
- Attended my first Hamilton County Commission on Women & Girls meeting and began a year long journey alongside some fantastic women & girls.
- Marched alongside thousands of other concerned Cincinnatians in the Annual MLK Day march that I helped plan.
- Co-authored an Op-Ed on behalf of the MLK Coalition, in honor of MLK Day.
- Stormed the Ohio Statehouse advocating for pay and gender equity (and hung out with Lilly Ledbetter to boot).
- Had a marathon week when everyday there was an event that I planned and/or participated in, including a community conversation, a community-wide book discussion, a Stand Against Racism, and an advocacy summit at which I served as a panelist.
- Received an award from the University of Cincinnati for my “…dedicated professional and activist work on behalf of women and girls in the Cincinnati metropolitan region.”
- Attended the United State of Women Summit in Los Angeles, sitting front row and center (and was able to see Michelle Obama again–and lots of other incredible activists)!
- I MET OPRAH!!
- (my daughter worked alongside her…and was seemingly completely unaffected by this…smh #teenagers)
- Presented recommendations to the Hamilton County Board of Commissioners–resulting in a county-wide policy change!
- I resigned from my position as Advocacy Manager at YWCA Greater Cincinnati!
So many things happened in 2018 that I can’t remember it all–this was just a highlights reel! I’m really excited for 2019 and the #change and everything that it will bring.
Happy New Year!